We build companies that solve massive social challenges
We recruit motivated individuals and surround them with design, technology, business building and behavioral science experts.
We recruit talented individuals from diverse backgrounds, with direct, lived experiences in our focus areas, and we work directly alongside them for 18 months in an intense research, behavioral design, prototype, sell, deployment, and fundraising process. At the end of 18 months, we expect each of our entrepreneurs to have a product in-market making a difference in the world, with capital to continue to grow far beyond the Venture Studio.
Opportunity identificationMarket evaluation and prototype development.
Sell pilotsMarket validation (and product iteration) through initial sales.
Go to market + raise capitalDeploy initial product and raise external capital to grow the business.
How we evaluate business opportunities
We work with our entrepreneurs iteratively through a research, design, prototype, sell, deployment, and fundraising process, roughly chunked in three, six month long periods. We apply a behavioral science lens to collaboratively identify business opportunities (we don't expect our entrepreneurs to join the studio with a specific business idea), and focus on enterprise, value-based Software as a Service as our vehicle to scale our impact. When evaluating opportunities we ask, is there…
- An existing intention → action gap?(e.g. where an individual plans to do or not do something, but fails to follow through on their intention)
- An enterprise who benefits from closing that intention → action gap?
- A data powered intervention that helps the individual follow through on their intention?
Pursuing opportunities with these three characteristics ensures we are actually helping people achieve their desired goals, and allows us to make value based sales to existing enterprises, while building technology to deliver that value, powered by data, and informed by behavioral science. This makes our businesses scalable, impactful and defensible.
Companies we're working with today.
- Creating a job share model that fuels productivity.
- Creating a place for people to get money when they need it.
- Empowering teams to secure the future of their business.
- Working with school districts to reduce K-12 chronic absenteeism.
- Helping borrowers manage their student debt and avoid default.
- Working with state and local governments to reduce recidivism.
- We’re looking for entrepreneurs to build their companies with us.